Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I don't run, except when I do

I decided to take up running.  This was no small decision.  My former motto was "one should not run unless being chased!"  But then I watched the Walking Dead and the Hunger Games.  I'm not saying those things are going to happen.  I'm just saying, I would rather not be zombie kibble or voted most likely to die within the first 15 minutes of the battle.

So maybe I should start running?!?  There are special shoes and socks and clothing to be considered.  What apps are the best?  What shoes will make me automatically run faster?  Will my derriere be too jiggly?  Many deep thoughts...  And those who know me, know that I had to research the sh-crap out of running before I went forth and hit the pavement.

First, I had to find a running program/app that would help me figure out when to jog and when to walk so I could suck in air and pretend that I was totally in control of my situation.  Plus, it had to let me listen to my running mix in iTunes.  Making that mix alone was an undertaking... sheesh.  So I downloaded the C25K free app and I like it.  Couch to 5K fits all of my requirements and the lady's voice who prompts me to run/walk/begin the cool-down is pleasant & computer-like.

Secondly, I wanted to run on the balls of my feet (basically barefoot running) so I needed minimalism shoes that would keep me from heel striking.  Three knee surgeries later, I have no ACL in my right knee so I have to be as good to my knees as possible.  I came across Merrell Trail Glove shoes and I was hooked.  I wear these things everywhere, even on a hike in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in AZ this weekend where I was navigating across rocks and gravel.  They give nice airflow and it feels like I don't have anything on my feet other than a perfectly formed rubber layer to keep my skin protected (Batman feet!).  Freaking love these shoes!  Incidentally, I have to buy mens sizes because Merrell doesn't make a 12 in Women's... Ahem, Merrell, tall girls want pretty shoes too...


Next, I had to buy a special harness to take my border collie, Phoenix, with me.  A) He's faster than me so he tends to pull forward at first and B) he can be a bit fearful at times of other dogs and cars so he will pull away and I wanted to make sure I wasn't choking the life out of him via his collar.  The best I have found so far is the Premier Easy Walk Harness.  Something about the structure and way that it keeps him tethered to me totally works with his brain.  When I get it out for a walk/run, he comes over to me and stands very still while I snap it on him.  He sticks next to me during the entire walk (baring anything terrifying appearing suddenly).  Did I mention he is brilliant and beautiful and awesome in so many ways?


Lastly, I signed up for a 5K in September so now I really can't quit.  Ok, I could, but I spent money which is just motivation enough for me.  And now, 3ish weeks into the process, I don't want to quit.  I'm enjoying the mental release of running.  I don't LOVE running.  But I don't hate it either.  Its ok.  Running and I are still casually dating, it may just be a summer fling.

No comments:

Post a Comment