Thursday, June 13, 2013

Best Damn Popcorn Ever Popped!

Yep, I said it.  Its the (healthy) best.  At least in my 31 years of existence, its the best.  Now, I'm not ranking this against butter-laden, chalked full of salt movie theater popcorn.  That stuff is special and beautiful in its own setting.  Its unhealthy but as an occasional indulgence, its a delightful part of the movie theater experience.

My recipe is for the evening movie snack or a light lunch.  Its quick, simple and easily repeatable.  I've adapted the recipe a bit from various other blogs and websites so feel free to find one that works for you.

Here is the cast:


















Ingredients / Supplies:
1/4 cup of popcorn (I found a wonderful non-GMO variety purchased in bulk from Amazon)
3 tsp of coconut oil, divided
Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Less Sodium
Nutritional Yeast Seasoning
1 brown paper lunch sack

Instructions:
Add popcorn kernels to brown paper lunch sack with 1 tsp of coconut oil.  Fold over the top of the bag about 3 times and crease it.  Now coconut oil is a solid until warmed to about 76 degrees so rather than melting it prior to adding to the bag (because that would be a bit of a hassle... for me), I put it in the bag as a solid and proceed with the following steps.  Put the bag in the microwave and add 2 minutes (on high) to the time.  After about 15 seconds, take out the bag and give it a couple of good quick shakes to coat the kernels with the melted coconut oil.   Place it back in the microwave and start the microwave again.  For my microwave, 2 minutes is perfection.  No overly done kernels, most of the kernels are popped (especially after I bought a higher quality brand).  When its done, the bag should look something like this:


















I highly suggest wiping down the glass turntable each time, it gets a little greasy.  Take the bag out of the microwave and melt the remaining 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a small cup or bowl.  Pour the contents of the bag into a large bowl (its probably 3-4 cups popped) and drizzle with the melted coconut oil.  Add some shakes of Lawry's Seasoning Salt (or whatever seasoning you want) and adjust the amount per your taste.  Take a large pinch of Nutritional Yeast Seasoning and crush with your fingers into the palm of your other hand.  Sprinkle the crushed yeast seasoning onto the popcorn for a slightly cheesy flavor addition that kicks the whole thing up a notch.  I LOVE this popcorn and eat it roughly 4-5x per week (usually for lunch or snack).

The coconut oil drizzle is going to tack on some calories (good fats) and you may think it sounds just grody because coconut oil, really?!?, but I promise its a sensational combination and a great alternative to melted butter or margarine.  I'm also planning to try a sweet version on a night were I'm craving kettle corn.  Same principal, but instead of Lawry's and Nutritional Yeast, I will use cinnamon sugar with the melted coconut oil.

Happy popping!


No comments:

Post a Comment