Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chili & Cornbread, Greek Yogurt Style

I know, its 90 degrees outside and who wants to eat chili in the Kansas humidity...  This girl :)

I love chili in all its forms and mutations.  How the flavors convalesce and get even more amazing in leftovers.  How you can use chili for so many different things like tacos and nachos and good golly I have officially made myself hungry again.

In my ongoing purge of the deep freeze, I encountered more frozen chicken breasts and while I was pondering a possible use, I noticed two cans of great northern kidney beans looking a bit lonely and toward the back of the pantry shelf.  And then I just knew... white chicken chili and cornbread.

These recipes are adapted from Allrecipes.com where I found their origins, but they have been tweaked to my specifications and greek yogurted...yogurtized?..yogurtified?  You get the point.

I umm forgot to take pictures because...uh, we ate it all (the whole family, not just me).  So here are some beautiful stock photos that pretty much sum up how it looked :)


Easy White Chicken Chili
Original recipe can be found here.

Prep Time: 15 Minutes (if you already have cooked chicken, if not, tack on some time)
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
Servings: 6


INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 tsp minced garlic
14-16 ozs low sodium chicken broth
2 (15.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (I used the Trader Joe's fire roasted variety)
1 pound of cooked chicken, torn into bite sized pieces or chopped.  I use this recipe to bake my chicken first seasoned with garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.  (P.S. I use this method to cook chicken ALL THE TIME AND ITS FREAKING AMAZING... that's all, moving on)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2-1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like more heat)
1 (8 ounce) cup of nonfat greek yogurt
2% Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Habanero Hot Sauce (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook until softened and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, great Northern beans (undrained, you want liquid), chopped chiles, and chicken. Season with cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Increase heat to medium-high to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
2. Stir in greek yogurt and simmer for 5 minutes. To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese & flavor with habanero hot sauce (we prefer Valentina Extra Hot Sauce, its crazy hot!)

Per Serving (according to MFP): *minus the cheese
Calories 276
Carbs 25 
Fat 5
Protein 29  
Sodium 426  
Sugar 4



Excellent and Healthy Cornbread
Original recipe can be found here

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Ready In: 35 Minutes
Servings: 9










INGREDIENTS:
1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup white sugar or coconut sugar (which is what I used)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon oil, vegetable or coconut (of course I used the coconut oil)
2 tablespoons honey

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda and salt. Stir in yogurt, applesauce, oil and honey. Do not over mix, stir only until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until center of the bread springs back when gently pressed.

Per Serving (according to MFP):
Calories 171
Carbs 34  
Fat 2 
Protein 5  
Sodium 417  
Sugar 12





No comments:

Post a Comment