Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Clean Eating & Decisions...

The past two weeks have been a fairly typical parade of holiday festivities all adding up to too much fat, salt, sugar and wine (though you won't hear me complaining about the wine...or the martinis consumed with my best friend who was in town for the holidays).  As much as I cherish the new memories associated with consuming delectable treats with my loved ones, I am completely happy to return to my routine of clean eating.  I could feel the balance coming back into place as I consumed my protein shake for breakfast and greek yogurt with frozen blueberries for lunch.  Its not that these things are particularly amazing to eat, but I found I enjoyed the flavors and the familiarity of a meal that would both keep my body full and not bring that sense of guilt or frustration.  I do have some sense of my system withdrawing a bit.  While I am not hungry at all, there is an emotional hunger for things I normally reserve for special occasions (i.e. anything with frosting, chocolate, sugar, cream cheese, chocolate, sprinkles, did I say chocolate?).  I hate the withdrawal stage.  It takes a few days to eradicate the cravings.  I usually deal with this by (1) exercising and (2) allowing myself some of those calories from exercising to indulge a little.  Some Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt...some Edy's light ice cream.  Something to keep my brain/body from complete rebellion.  I used to try complete and utter denial of those things but it only make me focus on them more.  As long as my iPhone calorie tracker app says I have the calories to do it, I try to use them up, especially the first few days back on track.  Otherwise, I'm snarky and ridiculous to those around me.

I also have a decision that I'm struggling with... The facility which held the 21 day challenge is doing a 60 day challenge starting this Saturday.  Its very enticing as the cost isn't very high for all the benefits you receive.  So I have to decide if I want to make that commitment again which means driving an extra 40 minutes 4 times per week and spending some $$$ which we are recovering from Christmas expenses.  These classes are also 1 hour long which will increase the time and intensity of the workout.  Its not that I don't think its worth it.  I know it would be, but I am a frugal person who owns several workout routines on DVD.  I had the self-discipline to get through P90x once, but I know how motivating it can be to workout in a setting where you push and are being pushed to work harder, faster.  So I'm struggling to decide if adding this commitment into my life is going to be beneficial without adding a tremendous amount of stress.  Stress to prearrange meals to be cooking in my absence.  Stress to get out of the house early on Saturday mornings when I typically make a nice breakfast for the hubby.  So we shall see what I decide I can live with.  Hmm....


No comments:

Post a Comment