Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fitness Challenge Week 1

I attempted to write about this last weekend, but the blogger app on my phone ate my post so this will be my attempt to recreate what I'm sure was a witty and award winning post about my week 1 experience...ahem :)

****

When I initially signed up for the 21 day fitness challenge, I'll admit, I was fairly confident that my P90x experience would help me sail through those 30 minutes looking like a champ.  Sweaty yes, but able to master all the moves with ease.  Not so much.  In fact, not even close.  After the first session on Tuesday night with my glutes on fire, abs screaming obscenities and shoulders promising to not let me sleep well for a week, I felt pretty sheepish about my initial cocky attitude.  The reason there are famous biblical quotes such as "pride goeth before a fall" and "oh how the mighty have fallen" is that they are so painfully true.  I didn't rock that workout at all.  I was lucky that I finished without a full collapse.

Thursday night I arrived at the gym only to be reminded that I would be back in this same spot in about 10 hours for the next round of pain.  I should have just brought a cot.  I barely made it through both workouts and finished out the week feeling sore, tired and thankful for a few days before round 2 started.

Week 1 taught me a few valuable lessons:
1.  Prior workout regimens do not immediately transfer their value and experience to the next.  While I'm sure I made it farther than I would have before starting P90x, 30 minutes of intense circuit training with a trainer who isn't going to let you slack is not the same as a 60-70 minute video in your living room where no one is watching.

2.  Burpees are wretched.  I had never done one and now I know why.

3.  Sometimes you seek out a new challenge and it hits you like an ice cold glass of water in the face.  You are awakened, but damn, that was a heck of a way to do it.

4.  I'm trying to decide if TRX suspended push-ups, mountain climbers or burpees are the worst ever.  Its a close tie.

Round 2 starts tonight.  I promise to be more humble and less internally whiny.  Ok, maybe just more humble.  Baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I laughed at #2. My son put those evil burpees in my workout and it made me think about disowning him! I hate them now, but hope to be friends with them one day. We'll see... ;-)

    ReplyDelete