Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Battles

I think everyone hits a wall at some point during the holiday season.  A day where you feel the tight squeeze on the wallet from buying presents, when you remember that the real estate taxes are due in December which is just horribly cruel, when you have no spare moment to yourself because you are scheduling / baking / primping for another holiday party, when you have been trying to be so good eating healthy and working out but your body is dog-tired and your brain longs to dive head first into the box of Jingles you have been ignoring since it appeared on the shelf...(no, I didn't buy the Jingles, I wouldn't do that to myself).

I don't have a magical remedy for getting through these battles.  These are the days where I force myself to work out in hopes that the extra endorphins will boot me out of my funk.  I swing through Starbucks and indulge in the $4 grande nonfat latte because (a) its not the box of Jingle-flavored calories, (b) Starbucks smells like heaven, and (c) I could use the extra calcium and caffeine.  I persevere because it will get better when I give it some time.  Somehow the money will be juggled, the cookies will be baked and I will enjoy every minute of watching my loved ones open their gifts because I tried to pick something with their heart and soul in mind.  I will remember the true meaning of Christmas when Nat King Cole sings "Away in a Manger" and will likely shed a few tears for being self-centered and forgetful that Christmas is not about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment